Completely revamped last season, the popular NIXY Newport is a stable and extremely fun all-around inflatable paddle board that's suitable for beginners through advanced paddlers. NIXY has recently made a lot of nice improvements to their iSUP line and the Newport offers a perfect blend of stability, features, and affordability in an ultra-lightweight package.
Headquartered in sunny California, NIXY has grown their paddle board range over the past few years and now has a total of 4 models ranging in size from 9'6″ to 12'6″ in length: the Newport all-around model, Manhattan touring SUP, compact Huntington travel iSUP, and Venice SUP fitness board.
In this review of the updated NIXY Newport, we'll take a look at all of the improvements that the company has made and also discuss the reasons why it's such a great inflatable SUP to consider.
NIXY Newport Review: Inflatable SUP Overview
As mentioned, NIXY has done a really nice job with all of the boards in their updated range. Their most popular model, the Newport has received a total makeover this year and is even offered in a second design, the stunning Newport Palm (pictured above).
A SUP that's designed to be beginner-friendly, the lightweight Newport is similar to iROCKER's CRUISER at 10'6″ x 33″ x 6″. Weighing in at only 23 pounds, it's much lighter though. Another option to consider is the slightly wider NIXY Venice, a SUP fitness board that is also an excellent choice for all-around fun.
Capable of supporting up to 300 pounds, the Newport offers plenty of buoyancy for paddlers of all sizes. It's also a great choice if you enjoy going out for a paddle with your children or dog.
All of NIXY's inflatable paddle boards are constructed with the company's ultra-lightweight, double layer fusion technology. In addition to being so light and easy to carry, the Newport offers outstanding rigidity and feels very stiff under the feet.
This board has a high-quality drop-stitch core and the multiple layers of military-grade PVC provide exceptional durability.
A feature-rich iSUP, the latest Newport comes loaded with everything you'd ever want on an inflatable paddle board. The top is covered by a custom traction pad that is neatly stamped with the NIXY logo. There's a center carrying handle that's well-positioned and the D-rings located along the outer edges of the deck pad can be used to attach the company's kayak seat kit. There is also a shoulder strap that we found a bit loose on last year's Newport and we're happy to report that for 2020, NIXY added more grip to the shoulder strap. Unfortunately, this update was only made to the Newport model.
At the Newport's nose is a small bungee cord cargo area that can be used to secure small gear. Also positioned at the front is a grab handle and the board's inflation valve. When the time comes to deflate the board and roll it up, it's nice to have the air valve at the nose as it allows you to roll it from the tail and push all of the remaining air out.
Moving to the tail, there's a secondary storage area with an elastic bungee cord. There's also another grab handle which you can use to pull the board along the beach without risking fin damage.
On the underside of the board are three thumbscrew removable fins which we found a little hard to install in the 2019 model. In 2020, NIXY has upgraded its fins to make them easier to install.
NIXY Newport Palm – Limited Edition
NIXY also offers a limited-edition version of the regular Newport model, the NIXY Newport Palm. It features a “tropical green foliage” graphic that will turn heads. The Newport Palm does weigh a bit more than the regular Newport G3, as it doesn't use NIXY's newer FusionTech construction. Otherwise, it offers the same handling and performance as the Newport G3.
NIXY Newport Rating
|MAX CAPACITY||300 lbs|
Packaged in with the Newport is a very nice accessory bundle. In the box, you'll find:
- Premium Wheeled Backpack – This bag makes it so easy to transport the board and accessories. In addition to throwing it over your shoulders, you can also wheel it behind you which is really convenient for those times when you have to walk long distances (like sprawling airport terminals).
- Double Chamber Typhoon Pump – One of the downsides to owning an inflatable stand up paddle board is the fact that you need to pump it up. The included Typhoon pump is one of the top-performing hand pumps on the market and the twin chambers and triple action allow you to inflate the Newport faster and with far less effort than with standard SUP pumps.
- Shoulder Carrying Strap – A nice bonus that's included with the Newport is NIXY's shoulder carry strap. This quickly attaches to the D-ring along the rails of the board, giving you an easy, hands-free way to carry the board around.
- Fiberglass Paddle – NIXY upgraded their paddle this year from aluminum to fiberglass and the new version is much nicer. This paddle floats and is fully adjustable.
- iSUP Repair Kit – Inside of the plastic container is a valve wrench and some PVC repair patches.
- Leash – Lastly, the Newport comes with a coiled SUP leash which you should always wear while paddling. The leash will keep you attached to the board at all times, something that's especially important on windy, choppy days.
All of NIXY's inflatable SUPs are covered by a 2-year warranty which protects you in the event of a manufacturer defect. NIXY also throws in a 30-day money-back guarantee which is a great thing to have for added peace of mind. The company is known for providing excellent customer service and are quick to address any and all issues.
Where to Buy it
You'll find the best deal on the Newport at the company's official website. In addition to offering the lowest prices on all of their inflatables, NIXY also provides fast, free shipping and top-shelf customer service.
The NIXY Newport is a fantastic option for paddlers of all experience levels. The board is fun on the water, extremely stable, and comes with a great bundle of paddling accessories. Last but not least, NIXY always stands behind their inflatable paddle boards and the 30-day money-back guarantee is there to ensure that you're completely happy with the board.